Subject: Revised Definitions for PersistDuration

Marty

I agree that the wording I used in my reply was somewhat "loose" in its
meaning. However, as became clear in this mornings TRP conference call,
there is a need to separate "persistDuration" for reliable messaging
purposes from the "persistDuration" that is used for legal or other business
process related reasons. So how about the following as a replacement
definition/explanation for persistDuration ...

Replacement text for section 10.6.5.2 Persist Duration

PersistDuration is the minimum length of time, expressed as a [XMLSchema]
timeDuration, that data from a Message that is sent reliably, is kept in
Persistent Storage by a MSH that receives that message.

In order to support the filtering of duplicate messages, a Receiving MSH
MUST, as a minimum, save the MessageId in persistent storage. It is also
RECOMMENDED that the following are kept in Persistent Storage:
* the complete message, at least until, the information in the message has
been passed to the application or other process that needs to process it
* the time the message was receieved, so that the information can be used to
generate the response to a Message Status Request (see section xxx)

PersistDuration is specified in the CPA.

A MSH SHOULD NOT resend a message with the same MessageId to a receiving MSH
if the elapsed time indicated by PersistDuration has passed since the
message was first sent as the receiving MSH will probably not treat it as a
duplicate.

If a message cannot be sent successfully before PersistDuration has passed,
then the MSH should report a delivery failure (see section xx).

Note that implementations may determine that a message is persisted for
longer than the time specified in PersistDuration, for example in order to
meet legal requirements or the needs of a business process. This information
is recorded separately within the CPA.
<<<

Note that the above does not talk about how long a sending MSH should
persist a message. To explain this I suggest that the following text is
added to the end of section 10.2.1.1 Sending Message Behavior ...

>>>A sending MSH MUST keep any messages that have been sent reliably in
persistent storage until an acknowledgement message from the To Party's
receiving MSH has been received.<<<

David