Subject: Re: Delayed turnaround remark: nonrepudiation's cryptographic parameters in CPP vs CPA

Dale,

I fully agree with the point of your appended comments.  I do believe that
the draft CPP spec does allow for advertising multiple capabilities in the
areas you mention and others.  Advertising multiple capabilities for the
same function is done by including as many delivery channel definitions as
needed to display all the combinations of capabilities.  This might not be
the most efficient way to do so and one could start thinking about element
structures or attributes that convey the variability within a single
delivery channel.  For cases where a value of an attribute or element can
have any value out of a large set (e.g. timeout), one might simply state in
the specification that the values of such attributes or elements are
negotiable or we could define a specific value to mean "negotiable" or come
up with an attribute that says "negotiable" (ignore stated value).

Actually the tpaML heritage is more variable than it looks since it was
understood (and, I think stated in one or two places), that the actual
choice of many functions is up to the two parties and not mandated in the
specification.  However at that point, our IBM team had not put much effort
into the question of negotiation from profiles and so we did not think
about how to indicate what values are negotiable on a continuum and what
are restricted to a small set of choices.

Plenty of room (and unfortunately little time) for invention.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center