Subject: Re: Sanity check needed for struggling TPA participant

Marty,

Please see below.

Cheers,

Chris

Martin W Sachs wrote:

> I put this out to the TP list for more input.
<snip/>
> to the same collaboration protocol tag.  This seems OK.

Thanks;-)

> However I think there is a problem both with this one and with the one that
> I originally suggested (below).  If I try to compose a CPA from similar
> CPPs for two parties, I don't see any way for the composition software to
> figure out which party will be "buyer" and which will be "seller".  I can
> think of two ways out of this ambiguity:

I don't think that the composition software can figure out this
under any circumstances without help from the outside unless each
party plays only a single Role in any given CP. However, I don't
see this as a failing. I see this as just "the way it is" as Walter
Cronkite would say.

It would seem to me that one of the parties (A) would be initiating the
process of negotiating/establishing a CPA with a prospective party (B).
Party A would therefore *select* the CollaborationProtocol and the Role
that they want to play either as input to the process or by selecting
them in the UI that they use to create the CPA.

I think that this resolves any ambiguity. One side picks the CP and Role
within that they want to use to create a CPA with another party. The
rest
is figured out as follows:
	- examine the BPM pointed to by CP
	- get list of Roles
	- XOR selected Role with list of Roles in BPM
	- identify Role(s) in CPP of Party B that match
	- find CP in Party B's CPP that matches (so we have ID)
	- for each Role, select ServiceBinding that has IDREF matching ID
	above
	- find matching DeliveryChannel (default) for Party B's ServiceBinding
	- compare characteristics of Party B's DeliveryChannel with
Characteristics
	of Party A's DeliveryChannel for a possible match

Of course, if the CP has more than 2 Roles (as in the case I described)
then some further intervention may be needed to determine which
corresponding
Role(s) Party B should play in the context of the CPA being
"negotiated".

>    1. Admit that this case requires negotation after composition.

I say cry Uncle. I see no way around this;-) Of course, "negotiation"
may not be completely accurate a term. More like "intervention" or
"user input".

>    2. Say that this CPP is invalid and if a party wants to represent itself
>    as capable of being either "buyer" or "seller" in different CPAs for the
>    same process, that it should have two CPPs, one for each role.

I'd rather we didn't go here. I think that a CPP should be perfectly
valid if it lists more than one Role of a CP as being supported by a
Party.

> [...]
> > So perhaps if we focus on DeliveryChannel
> > we will find the needed information about
> > associations. However, there remains one
> > gap-- the Role, which is a view on the BP,
> > is not associated with any of the ChannelIds!
> >
> > MWS:  As I indicated above, there is an implicit
> > assocation between the delivery channel and a role
> > through the linkage between the delivery channel and
> > a specific business transaction or message, once we
> > know how to make that linkage. However maybe we
> > should make that association explicit.  Read on.
> >
> > MWS:  The delivery channel is, as you say, an
> > association between a transport and a doc exchange.
> > In addition, as I mentioned above, a delivery channel
> > is also associated with some aspect of the collaboration
> > protocol via the delivery channel service binding.
> >
> > What we need is some other element, akin to
> > DeliveryChannel, which consists of
> > pairs of the RoleId with the ChannelId.
> > In this way the associations we need
> > to capture can be expressed. Or we
> > are at least one step closer.
> >
> > MWS:  One way to directly associate a role with
> > a delivery channel is to move the role tag under
> > the delivery channel tag and allow inclusion of either
> > one or both roles there.  In that case, we could probably
> > also eliminate service binding from role since the
> > delivery channel service binding should then be sufficient
> > for both role and delivery channel.
> >
> > MWS:  What remains is your question above: "So how do
> > we tell which Role goes with which
> > Transports and which DocExchange
> > instances?". The answer to this question is that we
> > define different delivery channels with the needed
> > different combinations of transport and doc exchange
> > definitions. This capability is already defined in
> > the CPP and prior to that in the IBM tpaML proposal.
> > We can then associate each of those delivery
> > channels with the appropriate role and
> > the appropriate  business transaction
> > or message.  As long as the different combinations are at
> > the granularity of combinations of transport and doc exchange,
> > this should work fine.  If we see a need for combinations and
> > permutations at a finer level of granularity (i.e. individual
> > transport or delivery channel characteristics,  we will need
> > to consider a different representation since a
> > finer level of granularity could explode the number of
> > delivery channels needed to express it to an undesirable
> > degree.  My advice is to restrict ourselves to combinations
> > of complete doc exchange and transport definitions for now
> > and leave finer granularity for beyond version 1.0
>
> --
>                                Christopher Ferris
>     _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/    _/ Sr Staff Engineer - XTC Advanced Development
>    _/       _/    _/ _/_/  _/  Phone: 781-442-3063 or x23063
>   _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/ _/ _/   Email: chris.ferris@East.Sun.COM
>        _/ _/    _/ _/  _/_/    Sun Microsystems,  Mailstop: UBUR03-313
> _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/    _/     1 Network Drive Burlington, MA 01803-0903
begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris