Subject: Re: responses to public review comments, CPA-CPP 0.93

Tim,

There were no technical substantive issues in the last QR iteration.  The
QR comments were  a large collection of small formatting and related
details that have been mostly incorporated and are too small and numerous
for a formal response.  FYI, here are the QR comments that I ignored and
why.

Use of pseudo-XML examples:  the comment appears to be asking for a full
CPP or CPA example everywhere we have a fragment to illustrate a particular
element.  That's impractical, to say the least. Use of such fragments as
illustrations is standard practice in XML literature. Appendices A and B
have full examples.  In the earlier round, QR was asking that the fragments
be validated by a parser.  That's impossible since they aren't proper
instance documents and aren't intended to be.

Don't use SHOULD in a non-normative note:  Someone hasn't read RFC 2119.
SHOULD is advisory, not prescriptive, and is appropriate in non-normative
text.

Complaint that the header says "20 March 2001", not "March 2001":  Word
does not provide "March 2001" as an option for automatic dating.  Use of
automatic dating is important for obvious reasons.  Similar comment about
use of the time in the date just below the title:  Inclusion of the time
(automatically supplied) is important for tracking of successive drafts.

Complaint that in the table of contents, the titles for sections 10 and 11
don't line up with the earlier titles:  Of course not.  Word maintains the
same space between section number and text regardless of the number of
digits in the section number.  (Actually, the space seems a bit too wide
for sections 10 and 11 but that's a Word bug.)

Put space before [ throughout.  That is absolutely wrong:  There should
never be a space between a word and its reference callout.  That would
cause some of the reference callouts to be on the following line where the
reader may miss them.  This has been standard practice in technical and
scholarly writing for at least as long as I have been alive.  The cases
where there is a space before [ is where the reference callout is being
used as a shorthand for the full title, as in [SSL].

Extra space between some letters of some titles:  This is a Word rounding
error in its letter placement algorithm.

Line 918:  The QR comments appears to be calling for a full XMLDSIG element
example.  We specifically refer to XMLDSIG for details.  Adding the full
example would be error prone and not helpful to the reader.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center