Subject: Re: Service and Action

Marty,
you are right we should plan to meet to iron this out.
Just a quick comment though. In BPSS Business Transactions are stand alone
re-usable protocols. As such they are directly under the root element for
anyone to re-use. What actually executes a Business Transaction is a Business
Transaction Activity, which is the lowest level that a CPP can declare support
of a role. Business Transaction Activities are grouped (and choreographed)
under Binary Collaborations. A Binary Collaboration always describes both
sides. I think that the term Business Service should be used to describe only
one side.

So I see the mapping as:

A Business Service is a set of software that can perform a set of related
roles in a set of related binary collaborations. Indirectly this means that a
business service (or its associated business service interfaces) declares
support for one side of each of the Business Transactions pointed to by the
roles through the business transaction activities.

(So Marty you were right in your original assertion that service is roughly at
the binary collaboration level).

I don't particularly like the word Action, but if we must use it, it should
probably denote the action that a business service takes in response to a
single request. This is in line with TP's current definition. BPSS actually
has a superclass called Business Action of which  respondingBusinessActivity
is a subclass. So that aligns as well.

I think TRP needs to change their use of the words service and action as you
suggested, or to specify that these are not business service and business
action, but perhaps some lower level service and action.

Confused?
I will try to draw a slide of this.

-karsten