Subject: Re: Definition of Business Processes

Re: Andrew's comment 4) - "one of the main things missing from global
ebusiness is a common identifier whereby the legal personna of the party
to a transaction can be traced and checked out with one or more central
databases."

There are a number of common identifiers for both individuals and
corporates.  Starting with the EDIFACT syntax (ISO 9735) look at D.E.
0007  IDENTIFICATION CODE QUALIFIER which identifiers the sender or
receiver.  Besides code values pre-determined by ISO 9735 (or EDIFACT)
for things like DUNS (Dun & Bradstreet), EAN (European Article Numbering
Association) and SCAC (Standard Carrier Alpha Code), D.E. 0007 may also
specify that the partner ID is  an organization identification as
defined by ISO 6523, described at http://www.nic.it/NA/iso6523.txt.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305
(614) 791-1600

Visit FORESIGHT Corp. at http://www.foresightcorp.com/
"Commerce for a New World"

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Chilcott <andrew.chilcott@stpsolutions.com>
To: <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 11:36 AM
Subject: Definition of Business Processes

Hi, I'm Andrew Chilcott and am new to this discussion group. I have been
monitoring the mail on definition of business processes over the last
week
or so and have the following comments:-

1. Whilst I agree that SME's need some form of generic template to
start from, I really cannot see that it is possible for a global
organization to determine a detailed process that would be globally
acceptable.
2. There are enormous merits in defining a very basic generic framework
that all ebusiness can use. However, I would suggest that this should go
no
further than defining basic structures ie. Orders, Order Confirmation,
Delivery, Invoice, Payment and the mechanism for passing Standing Data
between the parties to a transaction ie Name, Address, Tel etc etc.
3. ebXML cannot do this in isolation - there are other organizations
working on generic XML Schema that will be in practical use before ebXML
produces a recommendation. In particular can I refer you to
www.basda.org
where some 200 of the world's leading accounting and business software
houses have agreed an XML Schema.
4. To open another discussion thread - one of the main things missing
from global ebusiness is a common identifier whereby the legal personna
of
the party to a transaction can be traced and checked out with one or
more
central databases. We have international standard numbers for books and
securities - should we not have some form of international standard for
unique entity identifiers. In most countries a social security number is
the
most widely recognised unique identifier for an individual and a company
registration number for a limited company. In XML terms there would need
be an element CommonIdentifier with attributes of CountryCode = ISO3166
two
digit code; IDType = Individual or Company, CommonID = Social Security
Number or Company Registration No.

andrew.chilcott@stpsolutions.com
19-21 Great Tower Street, London EC3R 5AR
Tel: +44 207 929 7600
Fax: +44 207 929 7601
Mobile: 07775 564166