Subject: RE: What's the right forum for developing XML Messaging

That is our direction. We will not reinvent the wheel... but what ever we
end up with will support all types of payloads... just not XML..... Rik

-----Original Message-----
From: Dick Brooks (E) [mailto:dick@8760.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2000 2:35 PM
To: Kai Yokohama; David Burdett; Rik Drummond
Cc: ebXML Transport (E-mail)

Ofer,

The discussion we've had thus far within ebXML has been directed toward a
transport mechanism for XML, but not exclusively for XML. If a company wants
to send X12, EDIFACT or proprietary data securely and reliably over the
Internet using the ebXML MR&T solution, should we stop them? On a more
practical note, the companies I work with don't want to manage multiple
transport packages. Last week I attended the UIG/DISA meeting in Denver and
during a discussion over XML a member of UIG asked if there would be two
different transports, one for X12 and another for XML. I told them that
ebXML MR&T was not trying to create a "XML ONLY" solution but rather a
solution for the general transport of business documents.

In my opinion, if we limit the transport to XML only we'll be shooting
ourselves in the foot. I see no good technical reason
why a single transport solution couldn't support all content-types (smtp and
http do it today). If we do create a transport mechanism that is XML only,
it will be the first of it's type, built in the last 15 years, that I'm
aware of. All the others (ftp, http, smtp, mqseries) do not limit the type
of payload (granted they may need special treatment e.g. base64 encoding
for binary attachements in e-mail).

Currently, there are several initiatives that could provide adequate
solutions to ebXML. Rather than starting yet another IETF initiative, I
suggest the ebXML group nail down the requirements, spec out the headers,
choreograph some use cases and look for an existing (IETF, W3C, BQM,
BizTalk, OMG, OAG, or whatever) initiative that is close to meeting our
needs then offer to work with that group to create the final ebXML solution.

Does this seem reasonable?

Dick