Subject: RE: Message Header Info

that should be appropriate in the final draft of this effort. at this time
we are going to make it simple and just list stuff in groups as john said in
the last conf. call. you might wish to take a header item and show it in iso
9735 so that everyone on the list understands what you are suggesting...
best regards, rik

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ebxml-transport@lists.oasis-open.org
[mailto:owner-ebxml-transport@lists.oasis-open.org]On Behalf Of DDOBBING
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 6:02 PM
To: ebXML-Transport@lists.oasis-open.org

Tim,

As I understand it, the task for which John Ibbotson was seeking input,
related to the extract and analysis of the data item specifications
contained in the various message based enveloping techniques.  Therefore, I
believe it to be  important that the latest approved version of ISO 9735
(EDIFACT application level syntax rules) is used, albeit at this juncture V4
may not have widespread implementation.

I must point out that the basic syntax rules specified in Version 4 remain
unchanged from Version 3, with the exception that the coverage of character
repertoires has been extended, and two new techniques have been introduced
(the provision for 'dependency notes' and the introduction of a service
repetition character).  The 'dependency notes' correspond to 'syntax notes'
in X12.  The repetition character is a syntax issue and not really related
to the task at hand.

In effect, Version 4 of ISO 9735 is an extension Version 3 (e.g. the UNB
(Interchange header segment has been enhanced between V3 and V4 to permit
the identification of the service code list directory version number;
identification of the character encoding scheme; and internal
sub-identification of the sender and recipient. In addition, to conform to
year 2000 requirements, the date format in this segment has been extended).
By using V4, I do not think this would present any problem in building a
bridge to V3 (at an appropriate point during the project). However, if we
use V3 as the basis, then building a bridge to V4 could well be problematic.

Having said the above, the other key feature in V4 is the specification of
the envelopes for Interactive EDI (used by the US travel industry, etc) and
for security.  Nether of these features appear in V3.

Finally, the new features in V4 were added at the instigation of user
requests and as such represent specific requirements of the business
community. I do not think it to be wise to exclude the supporting data items
from the analysis.

Regards
David

--- David Dobbing, Data Logistics, ddobbing@attmail.com