Subject: Re: Manifest inclusion issue

My view is that at this point in the game, when any aspect of the
optionality issue
comes up I will lean toward mandatory. This is based in the fact that
in early versions of specifications it is always better to be restrictive
and mandatory,
as specifications can generally become less restrictive over time without
breaking existing implementations.
One inevitable downfall to this policy (on questions of optionality in
initial versions)
is that when structures are required that must be filled in (say an
attribute),
implementations may be forced to load garbage if not really needed. This is
always
a give and take call considering flowing "perhaps never really needed" data
(applicable here), but
this negative generally does not out-weigh protection against future
implementation
breakage, especially in initial versions.

Although this is a case of existance a distinguished container and not an
optional value issue,
without the "garbage issue", I would lean toward making it mandatory mostly
out of consistent policy.

Thanks,
Scott R. Hinkelman
IBM Austin