Subject: Re: Message Header Spec - terminology

Hi Marty,

|Finding a synonym for "optional" in any case not the whole solution.  In
|tpaML, most optional tags must be supported by all vendors since a given
|tag may be required in some applications and not in others or it may be
|required in some places in the tpa and not in others.  (For those who have
|looked at tpaML, an example is the action definition where in a given
|application, some actions may have responses and others may not.)  Other
|tags with * or ?  are optional in the sense that a given run-time vendor
|may or may not choose to support a given tag. However, I think that those
|tags would be required to be supported by authoring tools and by run-time
|setup tools (so that a customer could procure a plug-in from a different
|vendor when necessary).

So here goes more discussion on the standards world optionality issue. This
discussion has come up before, and always leaves me with considerable
concern.
I suggest that the biggest of these issues lies not with the RFC semantic
of "optional", nor with the
situation with an optional response to a "step" (using the current BP
metatmodel
terminology), but with the situation of vendor field support as you point
out.
This is actually not new to XML, but currently exists in the EDI world
also,
and I no of no way to fix it. We specifically discussed this in the OTA
(Travel Industry) XML consortium, and ended with a policy of pretty much
everything being optional. This is because it is usually difficult to agree
across businesses
on specific required fields (if agreement can be reached great), so the
default action is optional. If you make things required that are truely not
agreed upon as always needed, businesses will load garbage into those
positions.

You can let your mind wonder further on this problem. It was even discussed
that
a vendor may ask another vendor for their "modified" DTD/Schema, that
reflects
the real required fields for a specific vendor. Interoperability in this