Subject: Re: Latest packaging spec...

Hi,

Another reason we need to have what is sent and what is received identical to each other, is for the "non-repudiation of receipt" purposes.

The way "non-repudiation of receipt" is accomplished is by "the receiving party" putting the digest on the received message in the Acknowledgment  and signing the Ack message sent back to the "originating party". The originating party then makes sure the digest in the Ack matches the digest they generate on the copy of the message they originally sent out. This is feasible only if the "ebXML Message" sent and the one received are identical to each other. If the Message Envelope is removed (and merged into transport envelope) by the sending side and is regenerated by the receiving side, both entities are not necessarily identical and we will not be able accomplish non-repudiation of receipt.

Just another issue I can think of. Hence IMHO, the transport mechanism should not mess with the "message envelope" and should be left independent of and untouched by the transport mechanism.

Best Regards,

Prasad

Prasad Yendluri wrote:

Hi Dick,

This is the basic premise of my argument or thinking:

The "ebXML-Headers part and the ebXML-Payload part(s) encased in the ebXML envelope" is the primary unit of exchange between two ebXML end-points, transported through any transfer mechanism. The message envelope is needed to keep the headers and payload together. We chose MIME based enveloping scheme (or the multipart/related message envelope) as it provided the ideal packing scheme at this point in time. With the potential for use of all XML packaging scheme in the future, the entire message envelope (and contents) should be viewed as an opaque-object that is simply transferred over a transport. Hence transport related headers (MIME or not) should be layered on top of this object based on the needs of the transport and they should not disturb the basic ebXML message structurally.

The ebXML Message Header Specification and the Requirements specifications refer to the "ebXML Message Envelope" as transport independent envelope, and calls for a separate transport envelop, which is also consistent with the above.

If my basic premise is incorrect then I have no case. However, if that is accurate then I would suggest we keep the transport headers layered on top of the whole envelope and not merge the envelope into transport headers.

Breaking up the message envelope at the transport level in a transport dependent way complicates things like saving the entire received message for non-repudiation etc. also. If we were to keep the transported object always consistent and independent of transport, this process would be much simpler.

Please see below some follow up in <PY> also.

Hi Prasad,see inline comments marked with <db></db>