Subject: Re: FW: Latest Specification document

Chris and Bob,
|The term 'transaction' is somewhat misleading. The
|article being referenced by 'it' is a _message_.
|There may be any number of discrete messages
|involved in a business 'transaction'. There is
|also the implied connotation that the article is
|somehow a 'transaction' in CS terms (eg. database
|transaction with ACID properties). I wouldn't
|want to see this characterization made of
|ebXML _messages_.

We agreed in the Dallas Transport meeting to stop using the word
"transaction"
precisely for the reason (Chris) stated. The correct terminology is now
"Message Set" which may have one or more "Messages". The term
"transaction" is overloaded depending on your background.

Scott R. Hinkelman
Senior Software Engineer
XML/Java Solutions/Standards
Architecture and Development
IBM Austin
Office: 512-823-8097 TieLine: 793-8097
Home: 512-930-5675, Cell: 512-940-0519
srh@us.ibm.com
Fax: 512-838-1074

Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@east.sun.com> on 05/03/2000 08:32:57 AM

I have a bit of heartburn with the phrasing
of the note itself...

"... to identify it as an ebXML compliant transaction."