Subject: Re: [SOAP] Notes from Chicago BOF meeting

Rik/All,

I'm not so sure. SOAP v1.1
doesn't define *any* headers per se
other than a few optional attributes which are
required to be understood by a SOAP v1.1
application.

Specifically, the header element is defined as
being optional, and declares a single
element 'Header'. All other header elements are
application defined and *may* use any of the
SOAP v1.1 header attributes as needed.

<SOAP-ENV:Header xmlns:SOAP-ENV="...">
	<ns:myHeaderElement
		xmlns:ns="..."
		SOAP-ENV:mustUnderstand="1"
		SOAP-ENV:actor="..."
		SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="...">
	    myHeaderElementValue
	</ns:myHeaderElement>
</SOAP-ENV:Header>

So, there's not much there to be considered
for ebXML headers, IMO. There are also a number
of our requirements which are not met by
SOAP v1.1.

Specificaly:
	- multiple document support - SOAP can't
		even handle a document in the
		classic sense of an XML 'document'
		because the SOAP:Envelope is the
		root element.
	- security - SOAP v1.1 defers consideration
		of security for a later revision
	- provide migration path for accredited
	EDI...
	- avoid requirement of special encoding
	overhead (eg. base64)
	- ability to separately process the
	header and payload
	- ability to separately encrypt header
	and payload (to render payload opaque
	to routing services for privacy)
	- non-repudiation
	- reliable transmission

I could easily go on...

We could easily support a SOAP message as the
payload of an ebXML message. I suppose we could
go to the extreme of base64 encoding an ebXML
message as the <SOAP-ENV:Body> of a SOAP v1.1
message, but what purpose would that serve?
What real value add is there that SOAP offers us?

We discussed this issue briefly during this week's
conference call and consensus (among the few
dialed in) was that SOAP wasn't relevant to
our work.

I've seen no evidence as to whether BizTalk will
use SOAP v1.1. Why should we?

I suggest that we not devote too much of our
energies during our f2f in Brussels on this
issue, we'll never get anything else done.

See you Monday,

Chris