Subject: Re: David's concerns

To further confirm synergy of TPAml and ebXML, we are now beginning work
with the BP team by
an effort to compose a conceptual representation of TPAml in UML format in
order to facilitate
the appropriate integration of TPAml with the BP MetaModel. This effort has
been  welcomed
by the BP team's primary modeling personnel.

Thanks,
Scott Hinkelman
Senior Software Engineer, SWG IBM Austin
512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-940-0519)
srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074

John Ibbotson@IBMGB
07/20/2000 07:31 AM

To:   ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org
cc:   Robert S Sutor/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Scott Hinkelman/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
From: John Ibbotson/UK/IBM@IBMGB
Subject:  David's concerns

Rather than  add further inserts to posts on the server, I thought I'd
address the tone of David's concerns directly.

Over the last few months it has become increasingly apparent that TPAml
has considerable synergy with the aims and objectives of ebXML both within
the TRP and BP working groups. It therefore seemed appropriate to offer the
specification as a technology to ebXML rather than let it stay with OASIS
where we originally submitted it in February. The response at the Boston
face to face and the subsequent reaction from Bruce in organising a meeting
at DISA confirms this.

The offering of  a technology or specification for public scrutiny is part
of the standards process so I am puzzled by David's assertion that he is
surprised the TRP group is accepting something proprietary from IBM. If
that were the case, then we would not have allowed Fujitsu to make their
valuable contribution on reliable messaging to the meeting in Boston. Also
the likes of SOAP that started as a proprietary technology would not see
the light of day as a standard. At the time we released the TPAml spec to
OASIS there was some criticism of IBM regarding the choice of OASIS rather
than ebXML. We have now addressed that.

As Marty states in his note, the TPAml spec is open for discussion and the
contribution of everyone involved in ebXML from whatever working group is
most welcome.

Cheers,
John

MQSeries Technical Strategy & Planning,