Subject: RE: Trading Partner Logical Identification based on EDIFACT or X12qualifiers

Folks

Two questions:
1. Who's going to take this up with RegRep, and
2. Why can't we use a variety of methods of getting Trading Partner
Profiles. For example:
  a) a simple URL that retrieves the document, or
  b) an ebXML business process that uses the ebXML Messaging specification,
e.g. Trading Partner Profile Request sent to the RegRep which results in a
Trading Partner Profile Response that contains the actual profile in return.
I don't see why we need to use any other wire protocol. The request could
also contain some search parameters to narrow the search

From: Dick Brooks [mailto:dick@8760.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 3:58 PM
To: mwsachs@us.ibm.com
Cc: David RR Webber; ebXML Transport (E-mail); David Burdett
Subject: RE: Trading Partner Logical Identification based on EDIFACT or
X1 2qualifiers

Marty,

you wrote:
> I think we both believe that a repository interface can be useful but its
> use should not be mandatory.

Completely agree.

> However if ebXML were to define a programmatic API to the repository and
> make it a mandatory part of the ebXML-defined repository, that would
> benefit software providers by assuring that the same software
> could be used
> with all repository implementations.

To build a regrep interface that meets the above assertion that "the same
software could be used with all repository implementations.", the RegRep
team should consider doing the following:
- define the list of regrep functions/methods using an Interface Definition
Language (such as that defined with CORBA)
- describe each function/method [in]/[out] parameter in detail
- define a complete set of error messages
- describe the wire-protocol used for function/method invocation and return
results (or refer to an existing standard)
  - define the various transport level bindings for HTTP, FTP, SMTP
- provide a granular level of security so that access to functions/methods
can be controlled
- permit the use of encryption and digital signatures on [in]/[out]
parameters

If the above items were presented as part of a regrep interface then I would
agree with the earlier assertion.

Dick Brooks
Group 8760
110 12th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203
dick@8760.com
205-250-8053
Fax: 205-250-8057
http://www.8760.com/

InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions