Subject: RE: Trading Partner Logical Identification based on EDIFA

Farrukh,

Firstly, I agree 100% with your KISS point.

What I meant by "boundary" with regard to reliability was the notion that a
message passes several "checkpoints" in the delivery process where
acknowledgements (and hence reliability) can be addressed:

- Successfully passed authentication/access control
- Successfully sent the bits to the other end
- Successfully checked the packaging
- Successfully checked the header structure
- Successfully checked the header data
- Successfully checked the signature on a header
- Successfully decrypted the payload
- Successfully verified the signature on a payload
- Successfully checked the structure of a payload
- Successfully "translated" the payload (from XML, X12, EDIFACT)
- Successfully passed the translated payload to a backend system/application
for processing
- Backend application successfully processed the payload

In addition to all the "successful" cases above there are a significant
number of error conditions that can occur at each of these points.

My question to the group was, which of these "checkpoints" are within scope
for the phase 1 reliable messaging deliverable?

Dick Brooks
Group 8760
110 12th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203
dick@8760.com
205-250-8053
Fax: 205-250-8057
http://www.8760.com/

InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions