Subject: Re: Marty, what do you see the variables being that ms will use...

Rik,

If your question is "what variables from the TPA will the MS use?", the
correct answer is "that's the piece of work to be delivered in the Tokyo
meeting".  :-)

Referring to tpaML for an initial answer, the answer seems to be:

   Trading partner identification

   The tags under <DocumentExchange>, namely

   - MessageEncoding
   - Idempotency
   - MessageSecurity
   - Possibly MessageRetries.  I am not certain if this is in MS or in the
   "application services" layer.
   - Possibly <MessageSet>. I am not certain if this is in MS or in the
   "application services" layer.

   Possibly <DeliveryChannel>, which specifies which combination of doc
   exchange and transport is to be used for a given message. It's hard to
   see how this will fit in without having some kind of specification of
   the upper and lower interfaces of MS, but we know that some existing
   applications (e.g. RosettaNet) do allow the delivery channel to be
   specified differently for different messages.

Please understand that virtually everything in tpaML would be used by a
run-time that includes transport and application services along with the
messaging service.

In my mind, what we mean when we have used the term "application services"
is a set of functions that is logically part of the application layer but
for which there are great benefits in performing these services in the
run-time middleware.  To recap, the IBM Research prototype run-time (BPF)
includes these services among others:

   Sequencing Rules
   Business document generation and parsing
   Security
   Correlation of conversations
   Logging
   Recovery