Subject: Re: Template/Guidelines for building the ebXML Delivery Matrix

Hi Dick and gang,

Here are my draft delivery matrix items for the service interface (most
definitely NOT a Cadillac). In looking through the overview &
requirements doc it became clear that section 5.2 of that document is
most frighteningly whacked. The deliverables that I indicate are based
on our discussions to date, plus the direction that is expressed TA doc,
which is quite a bit more current (and reasonable!) than the TR&P O&R
doc.

-gvh-

Dick Brooks wrote:

> Sorry I couldn't get this out yesterday, my real job interfered with my
> plans.
>
> This message is in response to yesterdays conference call where I agreed to
> coordinate development of a delivery matrix.
> This message contains the following sections:
>
> - Purpose/Goals, describes why we are creating the delivery matrix
> - Guidelines, provides some procedural/process advice to those responsible
> for creating the delivery matrix
> - Template, format of the delivery matrix document (MS Word attachment)
>
> PURPOSE/GOALS
>
> Throughout the design of ebXML's Messaging Service, debates have arisen over
> WHAT we are building (i.e. SCOPE of ebXML MS). The ebXML TR&P requirements
> document is very broad and the problem space we're addressing has some
> complex problems. It's important, for the success of ebXML, to provide a
> Messaging Service solution that is useful for a majority of the current and
> anticipated B2B business needs, "out of the gate", while also serving as a
> foundation for future expansion to address the more complex B2B scenarios.
>
> A delivery matrix clearly identifies the functional requirements (scope) of
> WHAT is being built. The matrix consists of three phases:
>
> Phase 1 - Identifies functional requirements of a Messaging Service that
> meets the needs of a significant number of B2B scenarios
>
> Phase 2 - Identifies functional requirements of a Messaging Service that
> meets the needs of more complex B2B scenarios and may include optimizations
> or improvements to the Phase 1 deliverable
>
> Phase 3 - Identifies functional requirements of a Messaging Service that
> meets the needs of the most complicated B2B scenarios and may include
> optimizations or improvements to the phase 2 deliverable
>
> Each phase will have a set of use cases to define the SCOPE of the problem
> space being addressed. The delivery matrix serves as a guide for all design
> and development efforts. Design/development teams should use the matrix to
> decide if discussions, requirements, features are in or out of scope for any
> particular phase.
>
> I'm hoping to have a first draft of the delivery matrix available for review
> by Monday evening, 9/11. I'm a firm believer that the parameters define the
> deliverable. That means I don't expect everyone to have a Cadillac on
> Monday. This is a starting point and we can expand as far as we want after
> Monday, this first draft is intended to stimulate discussion and focus
> everyone's attention on defining (and agreeing on) the scope of each phase.
>
> The following people volunteered to assist in creating the delivery matrix:
>
> - Jim Hughes, Reliability
> - Marty Sacks, Trading Partner/Discovery
> - David Burdett, Error handling
> - Chris Ferris, Core functionality
> - Gordon van Huizen, Service Interface
> - Dick Brooks, Transport/packaging
> - Dick Brooks, Miscellaneous
> - Dick Brooks, use cases for each phase

> [...]

ebXML Messaging Service Specification v0-2.doc

begin:vcard
n:Van Huizen;Gordon
tel;work:510-848-1988
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.sonicmq.com
org:Progress Software;XML and Internet Technology
adr:;;14 Oak Park;Bedford;MA;01730;
version:2.1
email;internet:gvh@progress.com
title:Director, Product Management