Subject: Re: more on the FW: Draft RegRep and TRP transport harmonization

Nick,

The only area where I feel synchronous messaging makes sense in RS is for
supporting object querying. Think a user pressing a button in a GUI that lets
them browse and drill down to view managed objects in the registry. Such
interaction tend to be synchronous. That said you know better than any one else
that I am a strong proponent of ebXML TRP and in fact put the mandatory use of
ebXML TRP Messaging in RS client to RS communication near line 1 of the RS
spec.

Yes I know there are ways to make back end async activity appear to be
synchronous to the GUI user. However, I have been under the assumption that
ebXML TRP Messaging supports both synch and async request. In fact I believe it
is specified simply in the TPA as a request attribute. I realize that makes
using mail as a transport more difficult (not impossible). case an point is IBM
SOAP implementation supports mail as a transport.

I thought this was a good opportunity to dispel the myth that ebXML TRP does
not support sync communication and is allegedly not suitable for RS client to
RS communication.

Let me know if you or other friends in TRP find any mistakes in my thinking.

Farrukh

Nicholas Kassem wrote:

> As a follow-up and wearing a POC hat on the key issue isn't whether ebXML
> TR&P supports async/sync interaction models at the transport level but what
> specifically in RS makes it a service precluding it from being used by say
> a mail-enabled client ?
>
> I thought we were specifying ebXML services in a transport neutral way -
> did that change at some point ? Perhaps this is more appropriate for the RR
> list but thanks for any clarification.
>
> Regards,
> Nick
>
> At 01:05 PM 9/19/2000 -0700, Nicholas Kassem wrote:
> >At 11:58 PM 9/18/2000 -0500, Rik Drummond wrote:
> >>rr needs synch services as noted below from trp.  best regards, rik
> ..snip

Farrukh

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;fax:781-442-1610
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Drive, MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh S. Najmi
end:vcard