Subject: Re: Reliable Messaging Spec v0-078

Here are my comments on RM v0-078.

2.2.2  Message Header - RM Info

154:  Please change "temporarily persistent" to "persistent" everywhere.
"Temporarily persistent" is a contradiction in terms. Somewhere in the spec
there can be a non-normative discussion of when a message can be discarded
from persistent storage.  In fact, unless the message is retained in
persistent storage by at least one of the parties until it has been
completely processed by the higher level, it can be irretrievably lost
under failures such as software or node failure.

155: Please replace "requests unreliable messaging semantics" by something
like "indicates that the RM service is not to be used".  The parties may
have an alternative way of obtaining reliability such as by using a
reliable transport protocol.

162:  See my comments on section  7.

167:  I agree that "unspecified" is unclear but so is "best effort" (see
comments to sect. 7).   We need a keyword which simply says that this RM
service is not to be used.

2.2.3  Routing Header

173-176:  What new function does MessageServiceId provide that isn/t
provided by SenderId and ReceiverId?  These implicitly define a specific
instance of the MessagingService.

184: (Table 2.2):

   3rd line and first bullet:  Please replace "transport" by "messaging
   service instance".

   3rd bullet:  "a long time" is ill defined. One partner may choose a
   different time to reset the sequence number than the other, thus leading
   to spurious error indications.  We should either define an event which
   is visible to both parties that causes reset of the sequence number or
   require that the sequence number be preserved "forever".  Even "for the
   life of the messaging service instance" is ill-defined.

2.3  Message Transfer Sequence

187:  Please state that the message shall be stored in persistent storage
before sending the acknowledgment message.  Even though this is described
later, this is a key point that should be mentioned up front to avoid
confusion.

190:  State that the next message cannot be sent until the acknowledgment
to the previous message is received.

193:  Fig. 2.2 does not (and should) make it clear that the receiver must
put the message in persistent storage before sending the acknowledgment.

205-206:  This could be interpreted to read that the message is "processed
appropriately" before step 4 takes place. Please delete "and processes the
message appropriately".  An informative note could be added that it is
permitted to pass the message to the application  for processing
concurrently with steps 4 and 5.

214:  Please add "or later failure recovery".

2.5  Detection of Repeated Messages

225-226:  It may be worth repeating here that the sequence number is
actually qualified by the senderId.

234:  Yes, a duplicate ACK shall be sent.  The sender may be (probably is)
sending a duplicate because it didn't receive the first ACK.  Do we need to
require that a timer be set on the ACK?

235:  (note following this line)

   (a)  See my comment above regarding "for a long time".

   (b) This is precisely why "for a long time" is not a proper
   specification (see comment above).

273:  (3) Since this algorithm specifically uses the sequence number, case
3 is by definition identical to case 2. Only the sender can know that the
second message is not a duplicate even though it has the same sequence
number. This cannot happen if we agree to my foregoing comments about "for
a long time".

2.6  Reliable Messaging Acknowledgment
2.6.1 General

246:  At this time, the messaging service cannot handle communications
protocol function since it is, by definition, blind to what is going on at
the transport level.  See my comments to section 2.6.3.

248:  (3) Please change "timeout" to "messaging service timeout".

248: (4) We have not provided a separate definition of transient errors.
An error cannot be declared transient until it has been recovered.  A
transient error manifests itself as a timeout for which the retry succeeds.
A repeated-sequence-number error is a messaging error, not a transient
error.

2.6.2  Reliable messaging formats

270:  Please delete this line.  ServiceInterface and Action are present in
all messages, whether reliable or not.

2.6.3  Communication Protocol Errors

274-292:  In the absence of a set of definitions which specify the
information flow between the MS and the transport level, the MS is blind to
what goes on in the transport level.  Architecturally, the functions
defined here are part of the transport level. In practice, an
implementation may or may not have a boundary between the messaging service
and transport level but that is an implementer's choice.  Please remove
this section.  See my comments to section 3 below.

2.6.5  Timeout

302:  Please replace "final" by "previous".

306-307:  This is going on in the sender.  The sender does not return an
ACK or error message.

2.6.6  Transient Errors

314ff:  See my comment on transient errors above.

2.6.8  Maximum Number of Retries...

343:  Please supply a definition of "retry interval".  It is the minumum
required time between successive retries.  Please remove the keywords
RetryInterval and Retries.  The TP team has not yet started defining tag
names.  There are two other such pairs also to be named (transport and
business level).  Please state that the retry interval and number of
retries discussed here are specifically for the reliable messaging service.

348-350:  Please delete this statement or make it non-normative.  The
recovery action following such an error could be quite different, even
perhaps involving a reboot.

3. Relationship with Transport Level

353ff:  This section appears to be about the MS in general, not about RM.
As such, it does not belong in this document.  This can be considered the
beginning of the work we need to do on tying the MS and the transport level
together.  I suggest putting this section and section 2.6.3 into a separate
draft proposal and continuing to flesh it out on a time scale appropriate
to the deliverables schedule.

5. TPA Considerations

392ff:  It should be made clear that the actual tag names are TBD by the TP
team.

7. Definitions

Per an editor's note earlier in the document, the semantics terms need
reconsideration.  Until this point, I understood "atMostOnce" to be what
the RM service provides. I think I agree that as currently defined the RM
service provides ExactlyOnce.  In this section, "atMostOnce" seems to mean
that the RM service provides duplicate detection but not retries.  That may
be so but this spec does not provide that option.  "BestEffort" is out of
scope for the MS because it specifies what the parties (i.e. application
level) do.  Please delete "BestEffort" and the last 2 bullets (party
definitions) of "AtMostOnce".  From the MS viewpoint, the two are the same.
In addition, we need a choice that specifies "RM service not used".  For
this option, there are neither duplicate detection nor retries.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center