Subject: RE: Reliable Messaging Spec v0-078

Hi Jim,

It's unfortunate that an effort as majestic as ebXML is Unsponsored.

>Thus, a
> current ebXML
> tenet is to provide some level of "reliability" over *all* transports.

To me it seems that ebXML goal is to be able to sit directly on top of Frame
Relay as well, for which a "comprehensive" sequencing mechanism would be
required. Not only the receiver but also sender may have to persist
ebXML-packets, until acknowledged. Because Frame Relay will simply drop (eat
away) packets without informing the higher layer, for various reasons and
leave it for application to recover from it.

If not already looked into, it may be worth the effort to look into-

1. CCP (common communication protocol) developed by AT&T. It is a
communication API (AT&T also has C++ version of it) used by AT&T developers
to program in a transport independent manner.

2. BX.25, which provides ideas for resynchronisation and recovery of lost
virtual circuits.

I wish the initial ebXML goal was to assume TCP/IP (which can sit on top of
Frame Relay as well) and keep it simple, more so because, "Internet" is the
target medium. Also, based on versioning of the ebXML header, new things
(header elements, functionality etc) can always be added at a later date.

Thank you and regards,

Ajay