Subject: Re: Conent length with MIME header

Thanks Dick! Wish you were here;-)

Chris

Dick Brooks wrote:

> David,
>
> There are a couple of factors to consider wrt Content-Length:
>
> The HTTP 1.1 spec (rfc 2616) states:
>
> In section 4.4:
>
>   "For compatibility with HTTP/1.0 applications, HTTP/1.1 requests
>    containing a message-body MUST include a valid Content-Length header
>    field unless the server is known to be HTTP/1.1 compliant. If a
>    request contains a message-body and a Content-Length is not given,
>    the server SHOULD respond with 400 (bad request) if it cannot
>    determine the length of the message, or with 411 (length required) if
>    it wishes to insist on receiving a valid Content-Length."
>
> Then again in section 14.13:
>
>    "In HTTP, it SHOULD be sent whenever the message's length can be
>     determined prior to being transferred, unless this is prohibited
>     by the rules in section 4.4."
>
> IF ebXML mandates that only HTTP 1.1 servers are supported then we could
> eliminate the Content-Length, BUT...
>
> Another use for the Content-Length header is to allow an E-Commerce site
> administrator the ability to "block" large file transfers. Without a
> content-length header you cannot determine the size of a message until its
> been received in its entirety.  Content-Length also provides an elegant way
> to check if there is enough available disk space before attempting to save
> the contents on disk.
>
> In summary, the content-length gives system implementers a way to
> efficiently stop processing data that exceeds a size threshold BEFORE
> consuming system resources, including all available disk space (which could
> render an E-Commerce server unusable).  I do see your point about it being
> non-MIME-standard, perhaps it would make more sense to remove it from the
> "message envelope" specification but include it in the HTTP transport
> binding.
>
> Your thoughts on this?
>
> Wish I was in Tokyo to partake in all the fun - looking forward to seeing
> you in Vancouver.
>
> Dick Brooks
> Group 8760
> 110 12th Street North
> Birmingham, AL 35203
> dick@8760.com
> 205-250-8053
> Fax: 205-250-8057
> http://www.8760.com/
>
> InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions

begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
adr:;;One Network Drive;Burlington;Ma;01803-0903;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Senior Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris