Subject: Re: Ack Message Payload??

Marty,
> In terms of the void return you mentioned, are you sure it means "no
payload"? Could it mean no message at all?

Good question. If the application layer supporting the commercial
transaction is expecting a void return it would seem natural
that no payload needs to be returned, or made available to it (depending on
your implementation) from the MSH. [For example,
our current TRP implementation does not return payloads to the application,
but makes them available via an ebXMLMessage
object.] Depending on the QOS of the MSH implementation and the current RM
parameters,
I believe it could work with or without a message within the MSH layer.

This may not be able to be answered/specified if the only thing in scope is
essentially a serialization format and no APIs, etc.

Thanks,
Scott Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer
XML Industry Enablement
IBM e-business Standards Strategy
512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-940-0519)
srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074

Martin W Sachs
11/10/2000 04:04 PM

To:   Scott Hinkelman/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc:   Daniel Ling <dan@vcheq.com>, stefano.pogliani@sun.com, ebxml
      transport <ebXML-Transport@lists.ebxml.org>, ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org
From: Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Subject:  Re: Ack Message Payload??  (Document link: Scott Hinkelman)

Scott,

One of the questions the TRP team has been wrestling with is whether there
are cases where the business message consists only of an messaging service
message header (header but no payload).  In terms of the void return you
mentioned, are you sure it means "no payload"? Could it mean no message at
all?

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

Scott Hinkelman
11/10/2000 03:20 PM

To:   Daniel Ling <dan@vcheq.com>
cc:   Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, stefano.pogliani@sun.com, ebxml
      transport <ebXML-Transport@lists.ebxml.org>, ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org
From: Scott Hinkelman/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Subject:  Re: Ack Message Payload??  (Document link: Martin W. Sachs)

I believe that if the business collaboration specifies a void return for a
commercial transaction then there is no payload returned,
and if it specifies an 'ack' it is up to that commercial transaction to
define the 'ack' definition in the payload.

Scott Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer
XML Industry Enablement
IBM e-business Standards Strategy
512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-940-0519)
srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074

Daniel Ling <dan@vcheq.com> on 11/10/2000 12:47:27 PM

To:   Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, stefano.pogliani@sun.com
cc:   ebxml transport <ebXML-Transport@lists.ebxml.org>,
      ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org

I fully agree with Stefano. Middleware parser errors should definitely be
reported to the
application layer and not the messaging service since it prevents the
sequencing to be done
appropriately .It must be reported to the application layer.

Regards,
Daniel Ling
Technical Architect
VCHEQ
PGP Key ID : 0122020A
PGP Fingerprint : 37B4 E1ED 2840 6EA7 917C  7D84 6608 0EED 0122 020A
WEB: www.vcheq.com
DID: 65-8258225
FAX: 65-5365082

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION : This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity  to whom it is addressed and contains information that
is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of this message, are not
the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
communication. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message.
Thank
you.