Subject: Re: v0.8 Manifest proposal

Bob,

You are reading too much into what I was proposing.
I'm not suggesting a means of generally conveying
metadata for ebXML. I am proposing a specific
vocabulary for conveying information about the
payload objects sufficient to enable them to be
processed. Since that is technically metadata,
I originally chose that name for the element
which contained this information.

Yeah, I could use RDF assertions, but that seems
to me to be a bit much in this context, don't
you think?

Basically, all I (believe I) need to know to
process the message is:
	- what is it
	- where is it
	- what/where is the schema
	- what version of the schema is it

The first two are (I believe) covered with
the xlink attributes xlink:role and xlink:href.

The second two I have added based upon specific
requirements suggested (off-line) by a couple of
different vertical working groups which have expressed
a need to enable a receiving system to determine
if a message can be processed (based upon whether
the version of the content model is consistent
with what they were expecting) withoput actually
processing/parsing the payload object.

Granted, I could simply create two additional
attributes for the DocumentReference element
for this purpose, but I felt that separating
out this information into its own child element
of DocumentReference would actually be more
useful/suitable.

In originally choosing Metadata as the name for that
element, I was really just grasping for some
name which reflected the nature of these attributes.
Matt suggested that an element named Schema
be used instead since the attributes I used
are only a reflection of specific characteristics
of the schema of the object referenced.