Subject: Re: Content-Length was Test Indicator Issue

I watched this issue discussed passionately several times over. There are
certainly justifications for both keeping and removing it. Hence I think it
would be a safer bet to not require it to be present but if present require it
to compliant with an HTTP RFC (2616). I am reproducing the text from 2616 below
for reference:

    "If a Content-Length header field (section 14.13) is present, its
     decimal value in OCTETs represents both the entity-length and the
     transfer-length. The Content-Length header field MUST NOT be sent
     if these two lengths are different (i.e., if a Transfer-Encoding
     header field is present). If a message is received with both a
     Transfer-Encoding header field and a Content-Length header field,
     the latter MUST be ignored."

Regards, Prasad

--
Principal Architect, ATG; webMethods Inc.,
432 Lakeside Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3793, USA