Subject: RE: Security Meeting in Boston; Conceptual Layering

Scott

I agree with your layering and I think it makes sense.

David
PS Now all we need is three letter acronyms for them and we can all be happy
;)

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Hinkelman [mailto:srh@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 8:39 AM
To: Burdett, David
Cc: 'andrew.eisenberg@progress.com'; Ebxml-Transport (E-mail);
ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org; ebxml-bp@lists.ebxml.org

David, I agree that the app should just provide the data, and that is
indeed our current design point for
our (IBM) POC API.

As I am sure you agree, again since ebXML has no API, Andrew's question can
only be answered conceptually,
and leads to the difficulty in this type of conversation. In this case the
specifics are around issues of which
layer(s) does MIME packaging, and who knows the MIME boundary when. So,
last week in Boston between
TP and BP, like other times, we roughly discussed the following conceptual
layers:

Application (perhaps an existing non-collaborating application)
Application Collaboration Adapter (makes an existing non-collaborating app
collaboration)
Middleware (supports behavior needed to for BP Signals, etc)
MSH (packaging, etc)
Transport (http, etc)

Andrew -Unless there is agreement on at least conceptual layering at
responsibilities, the question can not be conceptually
answered since ebXML is not on a path for API specification, only wire
format.

Scott Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer
XML Industry Enablement
IBM e-business Standards Strategy
512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-940-0519)
srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074

"Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com> on 12/08/2000 04:40:01 PM