Subject: Re: Synchronous Messaging Proposal - Some Thoughts

Dick,

These requirements seem consistent with the model I proposed. With the
clarification that I just sent to your concern regarding, the ability to support
request/response (RPC like) synchronous exchanges, looks like we captured the
Energy Industry's requirements as you listed below. To summarize again, in this
model a synchronous response or acknowledgment message shall be sent on the
transport level connection. The request and the corresponding acknowledgment and
response messages would be no different from the corresponding ebXML messages in
the asynchronous model, but for any elements that correspond to the synchronous
nature of the exchange. This would mean addition elements in the ebXML Header
(per my proposal #2).

So, taking HTTP as example transport, here is a view of the synchronous
exchanges. Note each HTTP exchange (the POST and the corresponding response)
involves a complete (MIME packaged) ebXML message (see Fig 7-1 page 9, of ebXML
TR&P Message Service Specification version 0.8).

A) Synchronous Ack only.

             -------------------------------------------->
MSH-1           HTTP POST "request message"             MSH-2

                      200 OK  "ack  message"

B) Synchronous Response only.

 MSH-1           HTTP POST "request message"             MSH-2
                   200 OK  "response  message"

Did I miss anything from EI requirements?

Prasad