Subject: RE: Synchronous Messaging Proposal - Some Thoughts

And I agree with David.  Do we even need to vote on stuff anymore?  ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Burdett, David [mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 1:18 PM
To: ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org

Michael wrote ...

> >    Proposal: OnceAndOnlyOnce messages should be required to use a
> > synchronous transport medium. The acknowledgement should arrive on the
> > same connection as was used to send the original message.

... and Chris said ...

>>>I think that this deserves some discussion. <<<

So here's my $0.02c worth ...

Basically I disagree with this restriction. Using a synchronous transport is
fine, but there is no need, IMO, to restrict reliable messaging to this type
of transport. The key elements of any reliable transport are the following:

1. Resending of an original message by the first party if no acknowledgment
is received within a specifieid time
2. The sending of a response message (whether an ack or a business response)
to the original message by the second party to demonstrate to the first
party that the original message was received
2. Resending of the response message by the second party whenever the same
message was received more than once, and
4. Duplicate filtering by the second party so that the ultimate recipient of
the message only receives it once.

This works equally well whether you are using SMTP or HTTP, except that the
Timeouts on SMTP would probably be a bit longer ;)

Otherwise I agree with Chris's comments - again ;)

Thoughts?