Subject: RE: [Fwd: text/xml for SOAP (and XP) considered harmful]

Hi All,

	It is unfortunate to call ebXML "lame" and "Sun and a bunch of bureaucrats
backing it". If this is what bureaucrats do, more power to them ! We need
more of those "XML" bureaucrats ;-) (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

	Like Dick and others, I also participate in more than one XML initiatives
and talk about XML all over the world. Also, our motto is "No technology
religion" - which means the discipline to have objectivity when talking
about different technology "camps".

	I differ in the choice of words - "bureaucrats" and "lame". Let me explain.

	One of the ebXML goals I really like, is the REQUIREMENT for globalization
and SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises). May be the participation from UN
might have prompted the word  "bureaucrats". I think UN participation is a
plus. I have talked about ebXML in Japan/Hongkong/USA and UN participation
has helped us to evangelize ebXML. We all should be working towards
globalization - I urge all not to trivialize this aspect.

	Second, ebXML covers the whole spectrum of business from BP Modeling to run
time transport. It is no way a lame standard. I am not getting into the
BizTalk Vs ebXML debate, but just to say that both are being developed by
smart people and have merits. After the presidential election, we all should
know the benefits of bipartisan thinking.

	One of the unfortunate outcomes of this kind of reports is the fuelling of
"camps" Sun vs Microsoft, BizTalk vs ebXML, UDDI Vs regrep et al. This is
not at all healthy for the industry and will further fragment and confuse
the decision makers and the users. Comparing and contrasting the various
offerings, based on functionalities is a better way of differentiation.

	Will, if you want, we can meet and discuss this topic further. I do respect
your right to have a different opinion, but would appreciate a chance to
debate the issues.

	cheers