Subject: Re: SequenceNumber [was:minutes 21-Dec-2000 tr&p con-call]

Mr. Nikola Stojanovic,

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:23:18 -0500
Nikola Stojanovic <nhomest1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> I cannot see why. Also, it seems to me that using the first example one can
> have something like this:
>
>       1st Message [MessageId = a]
>       2nd Message [MessageId = b, RefToMessageId = a]
>       3rd Message [MessageId = c, RefToMessageId = a]
>       4th Message [MessageId = d, RefToMessageId = b]
>       5th Message [MessageId = e, RefToMessageId = c]

It seems to me that your example above does not represent the document's
structure correctly. I considered following case:
    The 1st Message includes main business payload. Other Messages (2nd
    to 4th) includes addendum business payload to 1st Message's main
    business payload. At same time, the order of business payloads has a
    meaning in business. This is widely used business document structure
    (ex. license agreement).
Each Messages 2nd to 5th are individual addendum to 1st Message. Thus
the Messages 2nd to 5th should make reference to 1st Message (MessageId
= a) by RefToMessageId.

> and I cannot see how SequenceNumber example can handle that.

I did not say that SequenceNumber alone can handle the business document
structure. My suggestion is that both MessageId/RefToMessageId and
SequenceNumber are needed to handle the business document structure
correctly.

> But, maybe this is just speculating about requirements that don't exist (it
> would take me a while to find a Use Case delivery matrix) for Phase 1.
> AFAIR, SequenceNumber was introduced in order to do Reliable Messaging and
> Temporal Ordering of messages wasn't part of it.

Guarantee of message order is one of main requirements in Reliable
Messaging Phase 2 in the Delivery Matrix. Now we are in Phase 2 (and
Phase 3), aren't we?

SHIMAMURA Masayoshi <shima.masa@jp.fujitsu.com>
TEL:+81-45-476-4590(ext.7128-4241)  FAX:+81-45-476-4726(ext.7128-6783)
Planning Dep., Strategic Planning Div., Software Group, FUJITSU LIMITED