Subject: RE: SequenceNumber [was:minutes 21-Dec-2000 tr&p con-call]

Marty

You make a good point, we need to include the ability to wrap sequence
numbers as Shimamura has suggested.

From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 7:41 AM
To: Burdett, David
Cc: SHIMAMURA Masayoshi; ebXML Transport (E-mail); IWASA Kazunori;
Jacques Durand

If a conversation really represents a single unit of business, then I would
expect that within a conversation, there would be at most a few tens of
messages.  However if some business process uses the conversation as an
open-ended session, then the number of messages could get very large and
some protocol that handles wrap of the sequence number would be needed.
Since the beginning and end of a conversation are defined by the business
process, there is nothing to stop someone for using it as an open-ended
session.

Once TRP starts to be concerned with how a conversation works rather than
just with passing the conversation identifier from sender to receiver, it
is starting to get outside its scope and is tiptoeing into the business
process domain.  I suggest limiting sequence numbers to whatever is needed
for reliable messaging and making it clear that that's what they are for.

Regards,
Marty

*********

Martin W. Sachs