Subject: RE: Doug's Version proposal

The version in the MIME envelope indicates, for example that it is
multi-part related, the ebXML header MIME part comes first and the
**single** payload MIME part comes next. I would have thought that this is
useful information as in the future we might want to change it to allow, for
example, ebXML headers inside an XP outer envelope. Thoughts?

Also, errorList will now assume the version number of the complete schema
and doesn't need one of its own.

From: Doug Bunting [mailto:Doug@ariba.com]
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 11:05 AM
To: Burdett, David; ebXML Transport (E-mail)

David,

A reasonable question.  My take on this is reflected in the proposal.
- The payload envelope doesn't have an ebXML version attribute because the
semantics of that envelope are tied to its contents.
- The version attribute of the header envelope MUST match that of the
contained XML document.  It was my understanding we added that particular
attribute precisely to provide an early warning of the version used within.
- The outermost MIME envelope shouldn't require a particular version.
(Partially, this reflects my feeling that this particular attribute doesn't
provide that much value.)  I don't see a reason to prevent an ebXML TRP 2.0
ebXML Header envelope and document to be transferred within an ebXML TRP 1.0
ebXML envelope (or visa versa).

While I'm thinking about it, note: My comments on the ebXMLError element are
no longer relevant.  If that element (which is no longer used as a top-level
element) or its replacement ErrorList mentions a version attribute in the
text or schema, the attribute should be removed.

thanx,
	doug