Subject: Re: multi-hop requirement

William,

The phrase "if all this multi-hop stuff is just for supporting
SMEs" raises a couple concerns:
a) this is just one use case -- not the only use case -- justifying
   multi-hop; and
b) SMEs are one of the major reasons for doing ebXML (at least as I
   understand it).

(a) speaks for itself.  However, I'll expand on (b) a bit.  EDI has
severed B2B for many years, but has not attracted many outside the
Fortune 500 due it it's complexity and expense (as I am not directly
involved in the EDI marketplace, this is second hand -- please
correct me if I'm wrong).  I.e., if B2B is to be global, EDI-ng is
needed and I thought ebXML was intended to be that EDI-ng.  As I
understand it, for global B2B you must include the 100s of thousands
(millions?) of Mom&Pop businesses out there which don't necessarily
have good connectivity, certainly aren't technical gurus, and most
likely can't afford more than a PC with browser and/or e-mail.
This includes dukas (very small general shops) in Africa, my wife
(real estate -- do you wanta sell your house? :-), and loads of
small suppliers of goods and services throughout the world (and,
yes, some of these dukas do have PCs -- I've seen them when visiting
my daughter in Kenya -- connectivity/phone-service ain't great,
though).

In short, IMHO, SMEs shouldn't be ignored as collectively they
represent a huge share of global commerce and hence B2B.  ebXML
must cater to them!!

Thus, while this use case is not the sole justification for multi-
hop, I would say it's very important.  Bridging is here to stay.
Back in the OSI days, we assumed one protocol globally -- this may
have been one of (certainly not the only) the reasons for its
failure (the Internet bridges).  You can't seem to get people to
converge to one protocol, in fact, if anything, the number is
increasing.  Thus, while undesirable from a technical point of
view, it's a fact of life -- bridging is here to stay and with
it multi-hop.

Sorry if this sounds like a flame ;-)

I am not familiar with TradeSite (a short overview of priciples
is welcome) but I wouldn't be surprised if it employed bridging if
it provides any kind of end-to-end service (please include store-
and-forward here).

Best regards,
Henry