Subject: RE: Use of Optional vs OPTIONAL

Bob,

I would suggest that RFC 2119 did a pretty good job contradicting or
constraining the convential English meaning of many words it "defines".
Merriam Webster defines one bad case as:

Main Entry: op·tion·al
Pronunciation: 'äp-shn&l, -sh&-n&l
Function: adjective
Date: 1792
: involving an option : not compulsory
- op·tion·al·i·ty /"äp-sh&-'na-l&-tE/ noun
- op·tion·al·ly adverb

This allows use both in the sense of "optional to implement" and "optional
to appear."  Unfortunately, we as specification writers are stuck with the
conventions 2119 created or summarized.

Another way to describe David's proposal:
OPTIONAL - optional to implement for a compliant MSH
optional - (optional in the XML sense of the word) not required to appear in
an instance of the ebXML Header document or surrounding MIME headers

Does that help?
	doug