Subject: Raised by DB's RM proposal but unrelated...

First, a big issue that's been ignored through multiple revisions to our document: The semantics of the "timeout" parameter make little sense.  It essentially defines an override for the retryInterval parameter for the first delivery failure.  I'm not sure of the whole history, but the text hasn't changed in a while.  David may have made the last change when he correctly realised the description of this parameter was ambiguous (around or before Tokyo).  At this point, we have two choices:
  1. Work to restore the old text and make it unambiguous.
  2. Remove the timeout parameter from our specification completely.
On Rik and others' recommendations, we're leaning towards the second approach.  The concept of timeout applies either to business processes (when should an application discard and not process a received message?) or connection failures (when should a transmission be considered to have failed in lieu of a transport error?).  The first case is slightly beyond the scope of our specification (above our layer, though we've included the timeToLive parameter in support of that layer).  The second case was originally the target of our timeout parameter.  However, most connection protocols either handle timeout internally or provide no manner to control the interval from higher layers.  In either case, the timeout parameter does not have a place in our specification.  It should be handled no differently than any other connection failure.  (We may need to define something for a SMTP binding since its timeout is something like 4 days.)

Recommended changes (using the 0.93 specification as a starting point):
1) The Sending MSH MUST resend the original message if an Acknowledgment Message has
not been received from the Receiving MSH and either of the following are true:
a) The message has not yet been resent and at least the time specified in the timeout
parameter has passed since the first message was sent, or
b) The message has been resent, and the following are both true:
i) At least the time specified in the retryInterval has passed since the last time the
message was resent, and

1) The Sending MSH MUST resend the original message if an Acknowledgment Message has
not been received from the Receiving MSH and the following are both true:
a) At least the time specified in the retryInterval has passed since the
message was last sent, and

(renumbering the next point accordingly)
where the message is sent at a consistent interval indicated by the vertical bar whether the MS encounters an immediate delivery error (*) or the lower layers time out (==).
 thanx,
    doug