Subject: Re: CPA and overrides

Martha,

Whether a CPA details one way, or multiple ways of doing
things is irrelevant. If the automotive industry does
indeed have only a single approach, then construction of a
CPA is as simple as filling in only a very few details
that apply only to the two parties:
	party deails URL
	endpoint info (URL)
	certificates (if certificate-based security is used)

The rest could be a template that defines the specifics
that all parties (or the automotive indistry) have agreed
upon.

Seems to me that this is then a trivial price to pay
for interoperability.

Please do keep in mind that a CPA is NOT a TPA. It is
a shared configuration file that can help to ensure that
two parties can interoperably exchange business information.

maw2@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> For automotives and security, we pick one way to do things and it typically
> does not change.
>
> It seems that the level of override would be an implementation issued
> agreed to between the partners.The 'to' and 'from' typically wouldn't
> change. The protocol absolutely could.
>
> With regard to the liability, it would be with the sender of the data.
>
> Martha
>
> Maryann Hondo <mhondo@us.ibm.com> on 02/23/2001 09:17:28 AM
>
> To:   Dick Brooks <dick@8760.com>
> cc:   rsalz@CaveoSystems.com, ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org,
>       maw2@daimlerchrysler.com
>
> Subject:  RE: CPA and overrides
>
> Am I the only one who is concerned about this from a security view?
> if we allow for "overrides" .....what is the model of who overrides what?
> can i override the "to" part or the "from" part (particularly if i want to
> muck up the works of my
> competition a bit) can i "override" the https protocol with http? and what
> about "intermediaries"?
> are they allowed to "override" things?
>
> how does as2 provide for this type of override? is this ok? is it up to the
> receiving
> app to determine if the transaction came over a secure channel?  whose
> liability is it
> if the sender sends data over an insecure link when a secure link was
> agreed to and
> some information is "stolen"? are these issues addressed in as2?
>
> i could see defining a default which is used instead of a cpp/cpa or if
> there is no cpa referenced,
> but i would want to know how the security piece was agreed to by both
> parties and how it is possible to
> verify that the correct mechanism was used.
>
>  Maryann
>
> Dick Brooks <dick@8760.com> on 02/23/2001 08:44:19 AM
>
> To:   rsalz@CaveoSystems.com, ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org,
>       maw2@daimlerchrysler.com
> cc:
> Subject:  RE: CPA and overrides
>
> I agree with Martha and Rich. Forcing a CPA/CPP module onto an MSH solution
> is an unnecessary burden on those
> needing simple, "direct" file transfer over a single transport, which is
> the
> majority of implementations
> in the Energy industry. The EDIINT AS2 specification made provisions for
> multiple transport options by adding
> a "receipt-delivery-option" header.  This header contains a URI indicating
> the transport and delivery point (e.g.
> http://b2b.imacompany.com/cgi-bin/ebxmlhandler or
> mailto:ebxmlhandler@imacompany.com ) to send an asynchronous receipt
> (acknowledgement).
>
> CPA/CPP functionality is a nice feature for some, but it shouldn't be a
> requirement for ALL. If alternate delivery channels are needed for
> *acknowledgements* then I suggest a solution like that found in AS2.
>
> Dick Brooks
> http://www.8760.com/

begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XML Technology Development
adr:;;One Network Drive;Burlington;Ma;01824-0903;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.Sun.COM
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;0