Subject: Re: How do I poll for messages?

Cameron,

Typically, this would be handled via use of SMTP as a
(sending) transport and IMAP or POP as the "polling" mechanism
with the queue being your mail spool.

The "polling" of messages via HTTP would be widely inefficient,
especially if there are many prospective parties that might have
queued messages for you! It would also impose a costly
requirement on the part of your partners to have to persistently
store your (and others like you) messages.

HTH,

Chris

Cameron Young wrote:

> Sending messages is OK.
>
> But, if I'm a simple MSH that doesn't have a permanent connection, how
> do I check (poll) for messages?
>
> I'd like a "Message Request" added to Section 9. That will cause the MSH
> to respond with any queued messages for which the To Party matches my
> sent MessageRequest:From Party.
>
> There would have to be an error message indicating no messages pending.
>
> It can be really simple and only return one message at a time.
>
> Or is this going to go in another spec?
>
> Regards,
> Cameron Young
begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris