Subject: We need to include the "From Service" in the header

I think we need to add the identity of the "Service" that is sending a
message to the From header. This is needed so that, you can send an error
message, acknowledgement message or status response message back to the
correct place. Details follow ...

Currently we specify that for error, acknowledgment and status response
message that a MSH sends that the service and action contain the following:

1.  Error:
	Service: uri:www.ebxml.org/messageService/
	Action: MessageError

2. Acknowledgement:
	Service: uri:www.ebxml.org/messageService/
	Action: Acknowledgment

3. Status Response:
	Service: uri:www.ebxml.org/messageService/
	Action: StatusResponse

If these messages are being routed, then normally, the PartyId and the
Service and Action are used together to work out the URL to which a message
should be sent. Since there is only one service and action for a party for
errors, acknowledgments, etc, it means is that there CAN ONLY BE ONE URL PER
PARTY !!

This is simply not realistic as a party may have multiple MSH services
running at many different locations to support different business processes
and services.

What I propose is that instead we include the "From Service" in the from
element so that it looks like ...

<eb:From>
  <eb:PartyId eb:type="urn:duns">123456789</eb:PartyId>
  <eb:PartyId eb:type="SCAC">RDWY</PartyId>
  <eb:Service>urn:services:purchasing</eb:Service>
</eb:From>

... and move the EXISTING Service and Action to the "To" element so that it
looks like ...

<eb:To>
  <eb:PartyId>mailto:joe@example.com</eb:PartyId>
  <eb:Service>urn:services:OrderProcessing</eb:Service>
  <eb:Action>NewOrder</eb:Action>
</eb:To>

Then if, after receiveing a message, you wanted send back an
acknowledgement, delivery receipt, error message etc, then you would use the
Service in the "From element" of the message that was received and place it
in the Service of the To element of the message that was being sent, for
example ...

<eb:From>
  <eb:PartyId eb:type="urn:duns">123456789</eb:PartyId>
  <eb:PartyId eb:type="SCAC">RDWY</PartyId>
  <eb:Service>urn:services:OrderProcessing</eb:Service>
</eb:From>
<eb:To>
  <eb:PartyId>mailto:joe@example.com</eb:PartyId>
  <eb:Service>urn:services:purchasing</eb:Service>
  <eb:Action>uri:www.ebxml.org/messageService/XXXX</eb:Action>
</eb:To>

Where "XXXX" was MessageError, Acknowledgment, StatusResponse, etc.

This way you stand a much better chance of being able to send these messages
generated by the MSH to the correct place. Even if you are using a
centralized error handler as specified in the errorURI, the error handler
will probably need to know which service generated the message that was in
error.

I think that this is an important change to make.

Thoughts?

David
PS I've also spotted a few minor problems (mainly typos and small
inconsistencies) in version 0.99 that I will send out separately.

Solution Strategy, Commerce One
4400 Rosewood Drive, Pleasanton, CA 94588, USA
Tel/VMail: +1 (925) 520 4422; Cell: +1 (925) 216 7704; Pager: +1 (888) 936
9599
mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com; Web: http://www.commerceone.com