Subject: ebXML Messaging Service is a brilliant and extremely pragmatic pieceof standards work

"ebXML Messaging Service is a brilliant and extremely pragmatic piece of
standards work..."  (Wes Rishel of Gartner, on the WEDI business forum).

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305
+1 614 791-1600

Visit FORESIGHT Corp. at http://www.foresightcorp.com/
"accelerating time-to-trade"

I agree with Rachel completely. The ebXML Messaging Service is a brilliant
and extremely pragmatic piece of standards work that solves a great number
of the problems of secure use of the Internet for discrete transactions,
such as the HIPAA transactions. Don't be put off by the XML in the name; the
service is neutral as to the syntax of the payload.

The fact that this spec was developed with major contributions from the
vendors of application integration and security middleware products helps to
ensure a speedy roll-out of compliant software. In particular btrade.com and
Group8760 have been involved in doing X12 over the Internet for many years.

In a "First Take" which should be available on Gartner.com on Thursday, I
tell our clients that they should immediately begin to pressure their
vendors to implement the MS.

Health Level-7 is working on a specific profile describing how to use the
ebXML MS for HL7 messages, both in the current "bars and carets" syntax and
the new XML-based stuff.

The only reservation I have about the MS at all is that it is the dependent
on the Collaboration-Protocol Profile and Agreement Specification. The
CPP-CPA is also a good piece of work, but it may be more than people want to
bite off at one time. As I read the spec the reliance on the CPP-CPA is not
absolute, but it will take some education for people to realize that.