ebxml message

Subject: RE: Should ebXML standards be based on XML?

David,
  The notion of being able to "tunnel" messages through a server without
decryption is interesting, but I wonder how necessary that is.  Presumably
a message isn't going to be routed through too many hostile servers - I
would imagine communication would be from firewall to firewall (trusted to
trusted), and the majority of routing being done should theoretically be
either on a local trusted network or a remote encrypted VPN.  PKI is an
option - let MIME handle the routing, leave the XML payload encrypted, if
routing through multiple (or any) quasi-trusted hosts is necessary. S/MIME
(from my cursory RFC check), seems to be compatible with OpenPGP and any
other sort of encryption method you can cook up - it may be a viable
option.

Cheers,

--
Matthew MacKenzie