Subject: Re: efficient XML

At 04:43 PM 3/10/00 -1000, Betty Harvey wrote:

>Do you mean recursion or hierarchy?
>
>Recursion:
>         <Level>
>                 <Level>
>                         <Level></Level>
>                 </Level>
>         </Level>
>
>Hierarchy:
>
>         <Company>
>                 <Name></Name>
>                 <Address></Address>
>                 <Contact>
>                         <Name></Name>
>                         <Address></Address>
>                 </Contact>
>         </Company>
>
>If you are talking about true recursion, I agree!  If you are
>talking about hierarchy, I would not agree with a flat model.

Hierarchy makes sense, recursion doesn't.  Recursion often causes more
memory to be used during a parse because information relating to an
element's extended family needs to be kept.  Of course, a hierarchy can be
recursive, which is good for a DOM-based approach (finding the value of an
element in a logical order), but it is less useful to an event based parser.

-Matt MacKenzie

--
Matthew MacKenzie
CTO/VP R&D