Subject: Re: Questions on XMI

Terry,

Thanks for the writeup.  I have some responses which I think should clarify
your questions:

1) The <XMI> tag serves two purposes:  It marks the start of XMI within an
XML or HTML stream (for example, XMI messages embedded in SOAP protocol
packages - see SOAP4J) and also provides a standard place for declaring
Namespace, URI, and Version information.  You need to be able to check the
URIs and Versions before reading a message in order to understand what the
message is.  This mechanism has to be generic for a wide range of messages,
and the simplest way of satisfying these requirements is to have a standard
outer tag that contains the message.

2) Since DTDs have the well-known restriction that order and multiplicity
must both be specified, experience has shown that it's counter-productive
to impose ordering requirements on models that do not specify an order.
(An example is three classes with associations between them.)  Imposing an
order means that valid models would need to modified to permanently
incorporate an order before DTDs could be generated - otherwise there would
be no guarantee that generated DTDs from the model would always be the
same.  The choice is either to modify valid models by adding a new order
and finding a way to reincorporate that order back into the model, or to
reduce the ordering requirements.  Since this is an issue only within DTDs,
it makes little sense to modify the models.

3) The Doctype is one mechanism for identifying versions and models, but
the declaration of the Namespaces and URIs in the XMI element provides
complete information and is more aligned with the overall XML direction.

4) The XMI extension mechanism has proven to be extremely valuable when
sharing information in integration scenarios.  Fundamental operations such
as round-trip exchange and difference/merge between existing software
applications are very difficult without extensions to provide a mechanism
for bridging the application's internal view back to the external DTD
representation.  Since extensions may always be ignored by the document
reader, they pose minimal difficulty to avoid.

The entity extension mechanism below is similar to the one used in the CWM
(data warehouse) XMI DTDs.  In XMI DTDs, you can always declare entities as
long as the fully expanded form is correct.

I think these 4 questions are fairly minor, especially when you consider
what you get in return: an open and supported standard for general object
interchange with wide applicability to some of the most important software
domains: designs (UML, ER), languages (Java, IDL), and databases (CWM).
The list is growing quickly because the cost of adding a new DTD is so low.
Draw a UML model, write an interface, or import a database schema, and you
can generate an XMI DTD with freeware tools.

XMI is directly applicable to the ebXML work being produced in several
domains.  As ebXML groups create models, such as business process for
example, they can generate the XMI DTD directly from the specification.
The hard part is getting the model right - after that the XMI DTD falls
right into place.

Thanks,

-Steve

Stephen A. Brodsky, Ph.D.