Subject: ebXML metamodel write-up

Dear TA colleagues,

The attached proposal on an ebXML meta model introduction is still being
discussed within TMWG and maybe I thus am sending it to you prematurely.
However, considering the short time left until our San José meeting and that
I think it is an excellent document, I urge you to read it and consider how
it could fit into our specification.

Kind regards
Anders Grangard

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:33:29 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: Karsten Riemer <Karsten.Riemer@East.Sun.COM>
To: ebxml-bp@lists.ebxml.org

Hi,
At the joint TMWG and BP meeting in Minneapolis last week, there was some
discussion about the relevance of an ebXML metamodel in general, and its
relationship to the different specifications in particular. I drew a picture
that seemed to clear up some of the concern. After that there seemed to be
concencus that we should perhaps consider what we have called the BP
metamodel to in fact be the overall ebXML metamodel. There was also
discussion on why we could not simply use the UML metamodel as is. I
described the concept of a UML profile. After that there seemed to be
acceptance of our approach. Separately I had a discussion with Klaus Naujok
about how pieces of the ebXML metamodel could be used independent of other
pieces, so that people do not get the impression that being ebXML compliant
is a daunting all or nothing proposition. I have written all of the above up
in the attached document, and would like to request that this document
become part of our next release of the BP specification and/or part of the
architecture specification.

-karsten

ebXMLmodelOverview.doc