Subject: Re: Parties and Partners

David/All,

All worthy points, but I think that the key point in all of this
is that there IS an agreement involved at some level whether you know it or not.
Whether it is a formal TPA or not is another issue altogether.

- Your cell phone needs to know *how* to communicate with the Coke machine before
  you simply beam your cell phone at it to get a coke.
- you have an agreement/contract with your credit/debit card issuer
- the coke machine/vendor has one of these as well with each issuer or
  with each service (visa, mc, amex, discover, etc.) This might be a formal
  TPA or simply some contract that the vendor signs. I'm not privvy to
  how credit card services handle this...
- your cell phone has a CPP which describes its capabilities
  which it would match against that of the coke machine
  in some discovery/negotiation dance to establish a CPA
  to effect the actual exchange of messages.
- more than likely, there is an explicit CPA template
  which Coke has for its machines and which all cell phone
  manufacturers would provide (or could be d/l'ed to the cell
  phone off of the web) along with the requisite software components
  to engage the CPA. Included or associated
  with the capabilities in the CPP are some identifier(s) to information
  which describes the "party" who "advertises" or exposes the CPA template

I think that the problem we're all having here is with terminology.
"Trading Partner" and "Partner" all have all sorts of contextual
baggage which make it seem as if it is only oriented towards formal
b2b exchanges. That is why we in TP have chosen slightly less offensive
language to describe what we're cooking:

	Collaboration Protocol Profile (formerly TPP)
	Collaboration Protocol Agreement (formerly TPA)

A CPA can be associated *with* a formal TPA or other form of agreement,
but need not be. What it describes is an agreed upon set of protocols
which are to be used in the engagement of the process at a technical
and process level.

Hopefully, this addresses people's concerns and makes it abundantly
clear what it is that the former tpaML is evolving to and was actually
meant to represent.

If you read the tpaML specification, you'll find that it is described as
an electronic configuration file, nothing more.

As for the terms "partner" and "party", I think that "party" is the one
to which most can relate. As Peter K has pointed out, "partner" has specific
legal definition which doesn't apply in all cases of b2b (or otherwise)
e-business. IMHO, a "party" need not be explicitly related to a "market",
it just identifies some entity which can enter into a "transaction"
which is enforced by some agreement either direct or implied, legal or
simply technical.

<engages_flame_retardant_suit>
Maybe, what we should be using is the term "principal" instead of "party"
or "partner".
<engages_flame_retardant_suit/>

Cheers,

Chris

--
    _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/    _/ Christopher Ferris - Enterprise Architect
   _/       _/    _/ _/_/  _/  Phone: 781-442-3063 or x23063