ebxml-awareness message

Subject: Re: Suggestion for ebXML Knowledge Dissemination

Dennis:

It's good to hear from even "inactive" members of the ebXML Awareness
team!  Thanks for writing.

I don't think ebXML is addressing marketplaces, like the Covisint Auto
supply chain B2B exchange. The ebXML initiative is all about
interoperable B2B standards;  if a bunch of trading partners (in this
case GM, Ford, Chrysler and their suppliers) all decide to use a common
hunk of software or an ASP, then it stands to reason there's no need for
an open standard.  Covisint can enforce use of its own proprietary
XML-based protocols.  If Covisint becomes more than a MRO marketplace
(which was never that automated before the advent of the internet
anyway) and moves into direct procurement, then Covisint has to invent
EDI all over again (just like RosettaNet did).  ebXML is meant to bring
all these re-invention efforts under one umbrella, so at least a common
framework is employed.  As an aside, there must have been something
wrong with proprietary "exchanges" in the past because things like the
drug industry's OrderNet and the hard goods' Eagle were eventually
overtaken by X12.

The ebXML Requirements Specification are indeed hard to read, as are all
the ebXML specification drafts issued so far (with the possible
exception of the TR&P specs).  They're generally lacking an overview and
problem statement (i.e., why are we doing this?, what was wrong with EDI
in this area?, what does XML technology bring to the table?, Who's the
real customer [of the specs]?, etc.) which might make it easier for the
EDI folks to comprehend the need for ebXML.

The obsession with UML diagramming and modeling doesn't help either:
page after page of gussied-up flowcharts doesn't tell me what the heck
is going on.  Am I alone in this?  This is why I don't really know
what's going on in the Repository and Registry Group or the Business
Process Group.  I'm somewhat more comfortable with the output of the
TR&P group, because I have a vague notion that there's real benefit, in
that the mishmash of standards concerned with routing, transport and
security can be thrown away eventually (e.g., EDIINT AS1 and AS2,
EDIFACT ISO 9735, X12.5 and X12.58, RosettaNet RNIF, BizTalk framework,
etc.). But this was never stated as a goal or advantage in the TR&P
specifications.

I don't think it would help much for "each group [send] an update to
Awareness on a regular basis" and that we could "collect, collate, edit
and publish them over the Awareness listserv."  I'd rather have a few
English sentences from each group describing what they want to
accomplish.  I've tried to read through the Architecture and Registry
and Repository draft specs, and have only gotten the vaguest notion that
ebXML will support something like the CommerceNet eCO Framework's
registry whereby I can query other ebXML users for the services they
offer, effectively eliminating the cumbersome trading partner
maintenance common today in EDI systems.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305