ebxml-awareness message

Subject: ebXML Meeting in San Jose

I've heard grumblings about the costs of hotels in San Jose for the ebXML
meeting August 7th through the 11th.  I didn't get to be an Internet
millionaire by throwing money around, especially at hotels.  The last time I
was in San Jose for the ebXML kickoff, I stayed in an old ex-Comfort Inn
right next door for less than a $100 a night;  it was adequate.  Surely the
same is true near the Doubletree, if you wish to save money off the $189
ebXML rate.

I'll show you my technique for finding cheap accomodations:  first go to
Yahoo maps at http://www.yahoo.com/ and type in the street address and city
for the Doubletree, which was given at the ebXMLsite at
http://www.ebxml.org/meetings/20000807/announcement.htm as Doubletree Hotel,
250 Gateway Plaza in San Jose, California.   Unfortunately, Yahoo Maps has
never heard of that street!  Which might mean that it is a private or vanity
address, or more likely, the person who put together the ebXML hotel
announcement typed something wrong!

So I have to get the actual street address for the Doubletree by simply
going to http://www.hilton.com/doubletree/index.html.
Typing in "San Jose, CA" in their hotel locator yields the correct hotel
name and address:

   Doubletree San Jose
   2050 Gateway Place
   San Jose, CA 95110 US
   Tel: 1/408/453-4000

Note that the ebXML announcement has the wrong street number, and calls it a
"Plaza" rather than a "Place"!  Going back to Yahoo maps with that address
and ZIP code finally locates the correct map, showing the hotel right next
to the airport.  Clicking on "Nearby Businesses: Hotels and Motels" right
beside the map reveals a list of 69 close-by hotels and motels, arranged in
ascending distance from Ground Zero, or the DoubleTree.

Figuring that the next hotel, the Wyndham, will be just as expensive as the
DoubleTree, I moved on down to the next one: the Motel 6 at 2081 N 1st St,
about .3 miles aware from Ground Zero.  Since Motel 6 is a respectable name
and has good radio commercials, I gave them a call and got a room rate of
$65 a night;  for some reason, the Sunday is $69, but still acceptable.  I
was told it was within one block of the Doubletree.  I usually don't believe
these guesstimates from the hotel people, but at least it's within walking
distance per Yahoo Maps, and if my memory serves me there are sidewalks all
around.

So by using the power of the Internet, you too can save big bucks when it
comes to attending the next ebXML meeting.  Keep in mind that a certain
number of attendees will probably have to stay at the Doubletree in order
for ever who is planning the meeting to save on the costs of the meeting
rooms.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.