ebxml-awareness message

Subject: Re: ebXML Showcases Dynamic Trading Network

This is fine with IBM's media folks except that we want my quote to start

Robert S. Sutor, Ph.D., of IBM, ...

Bob Sutor
Program Director, XML Technology
716-243-2445 / Fax 716-243-1778 / Tieline 320-9138
Cellular 716-317-6899 / Pager 1-800-946-4645 PIN # 1473757
sutor@us.ibm.com

Carol Geyer <cgeyer7@home.com> on 08/01/2000 05:54:49 PM

Please respond to cgeyer7@home.com

To:   Klaus-Dieter Naujok <klaus@templar.net>, Robert S
      Sutor/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, jfh@fs.fujitsu.com, Cox2347@aol.com,
      jkemp@vitria.com, nkeating@webmethods.com, pgannon@netfish.com
cc:   ebxml-awareness@lists.ebxml.org, susan.struble@eng.sun.com, Laura
      Walker <laura.walker@oasis-open.org>, nick.kassem@eng.sun.com
Subject:  ebXML Showcases Dynamic Trading Network

Here is the current version of the ebXML press announcement that is
scheduled to be distributed Wednesday, August 2, 2000 at 11:00 AM EST.
Please send me your comments by tomorrow at 10:30 AM EST.

In order for the demo participants to be listed as shown in the draft, I
need to receive approval from each company by tomorrow at 10:30 AM EST. If
do not receive approval, the company names will not be listed.

Thanks,
Carol

ebXML Showcases Dynamic Trading Network

San Jose, 2 August 2000?The United Nations/CEFACT and OASIS, sponsors of
the
Electronic Business XML Initiative (ebXML), announced plans to demonstrate
the first phase of ebXML at the group?s upcoming meeting in San Jose,
California 7-11 August 2000. Working together, ebXML participants including
Fujitsu, NetFish, Sun Microsystems, Viquity, Vitria and webMethods will
simulate a dynamic trading network based on the ebXML Transport, Routing
and
Packaging Specification (publicly available on http://www.ebxml.org). With
each vendor assuming the role of a trading partner, the demo will highlight
the applicability of ebXML in three typical models of B2B
communication--point-to-point, hub-and-spoke and federated.

?This is a big step forward in demonstrating to the world how ebXML will
facilitate global trade,? said Klaus-Dieter Naujok, chair of ebXML and
member of the UN/CEFACT Steering Committee. ?It shows without a doubt that
critical aspects of ebXML are useable today.?

Robert S. Sutor, Ph.D., Vice Chair of ebXML and Chair of the OASIS Board of
Directors, agreed, ?We?re not just generating solutions on paper?this
cross-vendor effort proves that ebXML is based in reality and has the
support of the industry. In addition to the companies involved in this
proof-of-concept demonstration, we expect more than 130 organizations to be
represented in San Jose.?

As part of the ebXML transport demonstration, trading partners will
initiate
and respond to RosettaNet PIP3A4 business processes, dynamically creating
scenarios from a variety of industries using different payload types (e.g.,
OTA, GCI, etc.).

?We chose RosettaNet for this demo because it is well defined and widely
used,? explained Nick Kassem of Sun Microsystems, ebXML Proof-of-Concept
Project Team Leader. ?In developing ebXML, we appreciate the reality that
there are legacy infrastructures and business processes that must be taken
into account. We?re therefore designing the specifications so that people
can support ebXML without abandoning existing investments.? Kassem added
that future demonstration scenarios will feature processes and messages
from
other standards and industries.

The ebXML meeting in San Jose is being sponsored by Boeing, CommerceOne,
General Motors, IBM, Muzmo Communication and Sun Microsystems. Attendance
is
open to the public; registration information can be found on
http://ebxml.org.

About ebXML
ebXML (www.ebXML.org) is an International Initiative established by
UN/CEFACT and OASIS in late 1999 with a mandate to undertake an 18-month
program of work to research and identify the technical basis upon which the
global implementation of XML (Extensible Markup Language) can be
standardized. The goal of ebXML is to facilitate open trade between
organizations regardless of size by enabling XML to be used in a consistent
manner to exchange electronic business data.

About UN/CEFACT
UN/CEFACT (www.uncefact.org) is the United Nations body whose mandate
covers
worldwide policy and technical development in the area of trade
facilitation
and electronic business. Headquartered in Geneva, it has developed and
promoted many tools for the facilitation of global business processes
including UN/EDIFACT, the international EDI standard. Its current work
programme includes such topics as Simpl-edi and Object Oriented EDI and it
strongly supports the development and implementation of open, interoperable
global standards and specifications for electronic business.

About OASIS
OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org) is the world?s largest independent,
non-profit organization dedicated to the standardization of XML
applications. OASIS sponsors include Adobe Systems, Aerospatiale, AND Data
Solutions, Arbortext, B-Bop Associates, BEA Systems, Boeing, Bowstreet,
Bridge, BroadVision, Chrystal Software, Cohesia, Commerce One, Corel,
DataChannel, Dataloom, DMSi, Documentum, Dun & Bradstreet, eCredit.com,
Enigma, eXcelon, Extensibility, Extricity Software, First Call, IBM,
InformIT, Informix, InterCAP, Interwoven, ISOGEN, ITEDO, JetForm, Keyfile,
Logistics Management Institute, Mercator Software, Microsoft, NextPage, NII
Enterprise Promotion Association, Nimble Technology, NIST, Oracle
Corporation, Pick Systems, ProNet Technology, Reuters, Sabre, SAP, Sequoia
Software, SoftQuad, Software AG, STEP, StreamServe, Sun Microsystems,
Synth-Bank, Visa, Wavo, Webb Interactive Services, Whitehill Technologies,
Xerox, XMLSolutions and XyEnterprise.#

For more information:
Carol Geyer
Media Relations Consultant
OASIS
carol.geyer@oasis-open.org
+1.941.926.2322

Sun and Sun Microsystems are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun
Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries.