ebxml-awareness message

Subject: Re: UDDI and ebXML (and IBM)

My response does not represent any "official" position of the marketing &
awareness project team. This is my personal opinion on how to read the tea
leaves of the UDDI announcement.

First of all, I believe the UDDI spec in its current incarnation provides a
repository for business information that is complementary to the work going on
in the ebXML Reg/Rep team. The UDDI repository is more like a Yellow pages for
business services and includes information about how to engage with business
partners, once these services have been discovered. Much like URL's provide a
method to access web pages, UDDI provides a method to advertise and discover web
services.

The ebXML Reg/Rep focus is to build a container for the XML vocabularies, core
components, and business process that are needed for the programmatic support of
a business transaction or document exchange. I think of this as the plumbing
layer that contains the working data set that enables automated data
interchange.

It's conceivable that UDDI could evolve to a point where there is overlap in
functionality or the design center for ebXML Reg/Rep. In fact, I think we should
be open to the possibility of incorporating UDDI into our Reg/Rep solution.
However, this is best left to the Reg/Rep team to debate.

I stongly disagree with your comment about the ebXML death knell. It would be
naive of us to assume that ebXML is the only game in town when it comes to XML
standards. However, we ARE the only organization that is developing a set of
complete,  vendor-nuetral specifications, based on an open process, to support
electonic data interchange. UDDI is just a piece of the overall solution. ebXML
provides the whole enchilada.

Ed

<mailto:ebxml-awareness-request@lists.ebxml.org?body=help>

> From what I read about UDDI it is going to do a lot of the same things
> as planned for in ebXML.
>
> I'm a bit confused.  I've been getting mail from the ebXML list server
> for some time now and from the postings it seems that IBM was a big
> proponent of ebXML.
>
> Does IBM have a conflict of interest with the two "competing" standards?
>
> Do I hear the death knell for ebXML?
>
> Joe McVerry
> --
> Joe McVerry, President and Chief Technical Officer
> American Coders Ltd.
> POBox 97462
> Raleigh, NC   27624  USA
> 919.846.2014
> AOL-IM: USACoder
> http://www.americancoders.com
> Home Of OBOE - an EDI and EDI/XML Translator
>     and xBaseJ - xBase Database Engine For Java

Ed Julson			Sun Microsystems
XML Marketing			901 San Antonio Rd.
XML Technology Center		MS UMPK16-201
				Palo Alto, CA 94303