ebxml-awareness message

Subject: RE: GREAT ebXML ARTICLE

Alan,
Plans I've seen for the Vienna POC call for a real end to end / business
process to business process track where BP and all other team's work efforts
need to come together.

You're right there's a need now for more business community to step up to
the plate, but speaking as someone from that community it's really really
great (and a strong message from the technical community to the business
community) that the software community has been lining up on ebXML.

The BP team is working with POC to add exactly that missing *business
process* element into the Vienna POC, so that later business people (the
folks usually driving the new systems buying decisions) can realize the
'business potential of ebXML'.

A few of us in BP have also been talking to business contacts and what we
seem to be 'reading' is : ebXML has to functionally go beyond EDI to make
B2B more efficient for us, ebXML has to be very low cost (especially as it's
associated with the Internet), and given bigger company's tend to have EDI -
it's the mass SME community that will create the grass roots critical mass.
So make the software easy and make it cheap, and expect the profit $$'s to
come from mass sales (SME).
(Gosh .. sounds a little like the growth story of the Web !!)

Dave Welsh
Director e-Fulfillment
Nordstrom.com
http://www.nordstrom.com