ebxml-awareness message

Subject: RE: Well, at least they spelled ebXML correctly....

InternetWeek 9apr, Ken Vollmer:
> http://www.internetweek.com/columns01/beat040901.htm.
>
> "During the past several years, it has been all too common to hear
> "experts" denigrate the potential of EDI in favor of some new solutions
> just around the corner.

Most people still doubt the potential of traditional EDI ever being
adopted by small businesses.

> However, it is no coincidence that both ebXML and BizTalk Server--
> leading XML-based initiatives to build widespread e-business
> functionality--are fully supporting existing EDI transactions.

That's easy -- traditional EDI was intended to be all encompassing,
to support applications much crummier than Biztalk Server.

Meanwhile the XML community can't automatically interpret EDI messages
any better than trad EDI vendors.

> After a lengthy review of the available options, the
> sponsoring organizations came to the same conclusion: EDI is the only
> practical e-business standard that makes sense for basic functionality
> at this time."

Did ebXML come to that conclusion??  Did Microsoft??   Vollmer is mistaken.

I agree with Vollmer on one point -- there is a great awareness and
understanding of EDI among XML industry.  There is great awareness
that *most* of its current users will absolutely continue using it.
There is no likelihood most users will uninstall EDI where it is
working OK, and no likelihood that their EDI will stop working in
the near term either.  Accordingly, the XML industry adapted.

TOdd

persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on
the
unreasonable man." G.B. Shaw